Sunday, November 8, 2015

"10.5 Analyzing Context"

1. Its about respect for another's culture and trying not to offend them. How to argue this issue without offending anyone is a big school of thought.

2. A major point for disagreements would be that the name, Redskins, is offensive to Native Americans.


3. I think both sides could argue that the name, Redskins, does involve the Native American people. Whether it is to offend or honor is up to each individual.


4. There are a few differences, mainly whether if the name is offensive or not. One group of people believe that the name should not be changed and does not in anyway offend Native Americans. While the other group believes it should be changed due to its offensive manner.


5. None of the articles that I have read has involved a compromise. Which is something  I am leaning towards including into my argument. It seems like that may be the only solution to this debate.


6. My perspective is that the original owners named the team to honor a coach, who was Native American. Also I would like to bring up the fact that the team name has been the same for years and years, so why raise an issue about it now?


7. The greatest threat to my argument, hands down, would be that the name is offensive. My goal is to show that the name is not offensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment